- This event has passed.
Lunch Pack & Love
June 1 - June 30
In eastern Wisconsin under regular circumstances, 1 in 10 people are struggling with hunger. Today, the disrupted food chains, the unexpected loss of income, the closure of schools that provide free and reduced meal programs, and quickly revised emergency food services have only added increased strain onto what was already an ongoing challenge.
Just One Ministry, located in Glendale, is an organization that rescues excess food from area restaurants, food suppliers and caterers and repackages it for shelters, food pantries and community members in need. With the organization’s regular streams of food disrupted, they are in need of additional support through packed bagged lunches. These lunches are easy to distribute with minimal contact and will be distributed as quickly as they are received.
Purpose: We will assist residents throughout the Greater Milwaukee community struggling with food insecurity. Children will assemble and pack lunches according to their ability. It is a fun project that will show our children that helping others is also something enjoyable!
Impact: We hope that all of the children participating will grow in awareness of their capability to help others when their community needs it most.
Activities: Your family will assemble 20 lunches including a sandwich (peanut butter and jelly or meat and cheese with no condiments) wrapped in a plastic sandwich bag, a piece of fruit (orange/clementine, banana or apple), and an inspirational note (or whatever beautiful decorations your littles wish to create). If you would like to include an additional treat or snack, feel free though it is completely optional.
Just One Ministry will be freezing the sandwiches prior to delivery to ensure health safety. Therefore the bagged sandwiches can remain separate from the other lunch elements.
All families are required to follow CDC guidelines, including fully disinfecting the surface prior to meal preparation and washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
Materials: You will be responsible for supplying the following materials to complete 20 packed lunches:
- Approximately 2 loaves of bread
- Peanut butter & jelly or sandwich meat and cheese
- Clementines/oranges, bananas or apples
- Additional treat/snack (optional)
- Plastic sandwich bags
- Inspirational notes decorated by the kids
When and Where:
Your family will complete this project in your own home.
Drop off the packed lunches outside a KIC family home (address options throughout the area will be provided after sign-up.) between 1-8 p.m. on Monday, June 15 or 29. We will deliver all lunches to Just One Ministry for distribution.
Registration: Available here
Cancellations: In the event that circumstances change and you are no longer able to assist, please let us know as soon as possible so we can open up this opportunity to a family on the waitlist. Email email@example.com in case of a cancellation.
Participant Cap: 20 families
Ages: All ages welcome to help however they can.
Waiver: In order to ensure meals are safe to be distributed throughout our community, volunteers must meet specific requirements to be eligible to assemble the lunches. You must confirm that all statements below are true for you and anyone in your household where lunches will be packed. (You will sign this waiver on the next screen).
- No one in my family has tested positive for COVID-19 at any time.
- No one in my family experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath) in the past 4 weeks.
- No one in my family has come into contact with anyone testing positive for COVID-19 in the past 2 weeks.
- No one in my family has, to my knowledge, been exposed to or come into contact with someone with or presumed to have COVID-19.
- No one in my family is a health care worker who has been in contact with patients in the past 2 weeks.
- No one in my family is an essential worker who comes into daily contact with the public in an environment where social distancing is not possible (grocery worker, bus driver, etc).
- We have followed CDC guidelines to avoid infection (stay home as much as possible, keep 6 feet away from others, and wash hands frequently).
Cost: The cost of bagged lunch supplies.
Questions: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions